Tuesday 19 April 2016

14 Years with Diabetes: A Diaversary Post

Around time of diagnosis at age 4

I guess this is my diaversary (the anniversary of my diagnosis) post- and the first that I have celebrated/acknowledged. The reason I use the term 'diaversary' with caution is because I cannot pinpoint the exact date on my diagnosis with T1 diabetes. Most I know from the DOC have a clear picture in their minds of when they were diagnosed with diabetes. They almost always know the year, month and sometimes the day. All I know is that I was four.


My 18th birthday is coming up so technically, this is my 14th year with diabetes.. but it feels like the full 18 years, and I am sure my parents would tell you the same.

The photo you can see to the right is me around the time of my diagnosis. In this photo I was in Florida and was doing life as it should be when you're four, I was far too young to understand but my heart aches for my parents. I've hunted for photos of me when I was diagnosed but can't find any, I am actually pretty thankful. Unsurprisingly, I don't remember anything about my diagnosis. All I remember is missing my best friends birthday party, and she brought me a goody bag to the hospital! That's all you care about when you are four. I remember injecting an orange when I began administering my own injections- which for the record - was a very traumatic time for me. I remember my Dad coming into school every lunchtime to do my injections. I remember my first hypo at secondary school and feeling terrified..but apart from that..

To the present day..with my Libre <3
Reflecting on my diabetes journey is a bit sinister, and I am not sure how to feel about it. I was just a child, and I speak on my parents behalf here when I say it wasn't easy - and still isn't. There are many words I would use to describe diabetes, but 'easy' certainly isn't one of them (think more along the expletives line!)

Flash forward 14 years later and here I am..still very much alive so I guess that's an achievement! I look forward to writing this post in 6 years time, or even when I can say 'I used to be diabetic' - now that is optimistic!

With all seriousness, I have to make a choice every day to save my life.. one error and it's game over. Considering that, I think I'm doing a pretty good job. My BG are still not where I want them to be, I have my wobbly moments and by no means am I an expert, but I've learnt a few lessons, tips and tricks along the rocky road that is T1 diabetes. I will leave you with a quote from the wonderful Theodore Roosevelt - “Do what you can, where you are, with what you have.”
Without further or do here is a rather fitting tune..

I thank you for being on this journey with me and making every day that little bit more fun. We are close to 5,000 views so keep sharing! I promise to do a cool post once we reach it!

Toodle-pip!
Amber xx

Twitter: @wingscanbreak
Instagram: diabetesgeek

2 comments:

  1. My son had his first 'bad' hypo at secondary school this week and was sent home. An hour of hypo treatments really took it out of him. I am so glad I've found your blog, it's great to have an insight in to how it actually is to have type 1 as we've lived with it for almost 7 years now.

    Stevie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not surprised if he was treating it for an hour - that's mad! Have a little binge-read of my blog, I'm sure you'll find it of interest.. obviously all geared for teens and parents of T1s. Thanks for reading :)

    Amber x

    ReplyDelete